[b-hebrew] Torah

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Aug 13 17:15:44 EDT 2004

Yigal:

>From a linguistic viewpoint, TWRH comes from the root of YRH which has the basic meaning of throwing out and the objects to be thrown out include ideas, histories, laws, also solid objects such as lots, or with the help of a mechanical help sending out projectiles with force and distance (bow and arrows).

Torah is more than just commands [ MCWH ] or statutes [ XQ ] but often used as a synonym for them.

Yes, later books mention the Torah written by Moses, such as Joshua 22:5, 2 Kings 21:8, 2 Chronicles 25:4, 33:8 and Nehemiah 8:14, 9:14.

Now add traditions over many years and you get the present confusion.

Karl W. Randolph.