[b-hebrew] Amalekites!

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 13 13:10:22 EDT 2004

On 13/08/2004 15:24, Yigal Levin wrote:

>"Davka" is one of those Hebrew/Yiddish words which have no real translation
>into any other language. It means something like"on purpose", or "just so"
>or, "just to spite". So what Shoshanna meant was "law it contains is
>PRECISELY for the purpose of connecting ourselves with that holiness (and
>not, as claimed, the opposite)".

Thank you, Yigal. Well, I can agree with the part of this which you
explain, that the purpose of the Torah and the whole HB is to connect us
to the Holy One, and not to teach us history. But that does not imply
that it is historically inaccurate.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/