[b-hebrew] Torah

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Fri Aug 13 12:04:46 EDT 2004

Dear Yigal,
I discuss the term torah in my article in Persia and Torah, edited by Jim
Watts.
(I repeat the discussion in my book.)
I compare it to the Egyptian hp, the Persian dat, and Akkadian kinatu.
 It can probably also be compared to the Greek nomos.
"Law" is a mistranslation, and creates confusion. It is anachronistic.
In my opinion it is more correctly translated "correct procedure,"
"rightful behavior," "custom." I have bibliography in my article.
Best,
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
University of Michigan