[b-hebrew] Hebrew schools

Trevor Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Thu Aug 12 16:23:59 EDT 2004

 >===== Original Message From eskeeric at isu.edu =====
 >I was wondering if any of you have advice on the best schools to study
Hebrew specifically Biblical Hebrew in the United States.

I would strongly recommend the Semitics Department at the Catholic
University of America, Washington, DC (chaired by M. O'Connor, of Waltke
& O'Connor's IBHS). The ANE track is always a major in Biblical Hebrew,
plus you have a rare opportunity to study Aramaic with some true experts
in the field. Add Akkadian and Ugaritic to round out your ancient
languages (both approached with a strong sense of how knowing them will
contribute to your understanding of Hebrew), and you've only scratched
the surface. Because the department also has a Christian Near East
track, you have the opportunity to study Arabic as much as you can
handle, and the small size and centralized departmental library
facilitates regular interaction between students and faculty of
different subdisciplines within the field of Semitics. You end up with a
well-rounded grasp of the language family and particular expertise in
BH. It's a good foundation from which to build in a lot of related
directions.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics