[b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 11 07:16:40 EDT 2004

On 11/08/2004 01:50, George F. Somsel wrote:

>Peter,
>
>A facsimile edition is precisely what the word implies -- a virtually
>photographic reproduction.  For a time (before the Enhanced Brown Driver
>Briggs came to fruition) this was offered by Logos but is no longer in
>publication.  I still have my copy.
>
>The Enhanced BDB is also precisely what it indicates.  It is the text of
>the facsimile edition but has added links to TWOT and
>Goodrick-Kohlenberger (not quotations therefrom).
>
>The abridged BDB is by Richard Whittaker, and is not the same as the
>Online Bible version.  It is abridged by the removal of the scripture
>references and the Latin.  Otherwise it is the same as the BDB facsimile.
>I sometimes use the abridged version if I am citing the BDB and wish to
>shorten the quotation -- otherwise I use the Enhanced BDB.

Thank you, also Dave, for the clarification. The OLB version of BDB does
exist, but fortunately it does not seem to have been distributed by
Logos. The Whittaker abridgement is indeed much better.

I wonder why Sword has locked the OLB version? Perhaps because the OLB
people object? It is still available from the OLB site (although now not
identified as BDB) but only in OLB format.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/