[b-hebrew] Singers

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:34:26 EDT 2004

  _____

From: Uri Hurwitz [mailto:uhurwitz at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:26 AM
To: Lisbeth S. Fried; 'b-hebrew'
Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Singers

Any root with a medial Waw assumes this form in the Piel.

Goodness, that's what I had always assumed, in fact.
I had always simply interpreted it as a piel.

That's why I was surprised to discover a whole new form.

It's listed in Gesenius as a "less common" conjugation, so

I didn't think it was piel but something I hadn't heard of before.

You may wish to check this out.

 It seems to me there is no diffrerence in the meaning between the Qal and
Piel in this case, which I believe was the original question.

Yes, that is indeed my original question. I guess just style then.

Thanks.

Liz

Uri

"Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried at umich.edu> wrote:

Dear Peter, Yigal, et. al.,
First, thanks for thinking about this topic.
This lable for this form of the verb, polel, was new to me.
I had never thought about it as a separate form before.
Second, except for two other verses,
the polel of $yr appears only in Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah.
The two other verses are Job 36:24 and Zeph. 2:14
(according to Bible Works, I should add I suppose).
So, my primary question is what is the thrust of the polel here?
and, secondly, can we conclude anything from the fact that
it is largely confined to Chronicles-Ezra-Nehemiah?
Thanks
Liz