[b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Mon Aug 9 09:15:00 EDT 2004

Beg your pardon Yigal, but I can not see how you replyed the evidence for the Amalekites, I brought in my paper.

The only point you have made was that any arabic (not to say islamic) sources concerning the Amalekites postpones our biblical literature by a millenium.

I pointed you to the fact that this evidence is only the youngest showing the Amalekites as a people dwelling in the same region later islamic reference had them. See for example the position of the Malichae (of Ptolemaios) on the map reconstruction of Arabia by Groom - once more in the region Mekka/Medinah - as in the arabian and kuranic lore. Taking a place by Iathrippa (Medina) and Macoraba (Mekka). One must add, the reason for the scarce references to the Malichae (by Plinius - para-Malacum that is a Greek beyond the Malichae - in the same position like the Malichae of Ptolemy) during the late antiquity is the obviously very little known geography of Arabia. Arabia was during all the helenistic and roman time a big mystery.

I furthermore pointed you to the fact that the coeval mention of Meluhha in Assyrian and Akkadian sources parallels that of Amalek in biblical ones, being used for a country in Arabia, ocasionally stretching into the Sinai, anyway filling the Arabian desert till to the Euphrates by the bridge of Bazu (probably Zeugma=Greek bridge). See for Bazu both the geography of Sargon of Akkade and the inscription of Sfire.

You could have take notice that a further name given to Meluhha was Musri, the same name as later used for Egypt. See for example Sfire and the coeval Assyrian inscriptions speaking of BZ, and M$R.
The reason is the identity of the Meluhha/Amalekites with the Hyksos. The Hyksos labelled the name of their polity onto the conquered Egypt. For all this there exists a huge and detailed argumentation.

Now, I can not remember in which point you have tried to correct me till now. Should this have happened, than I will politely excuse myself not having answered your objections.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart