[b-hebrew] English translations? any recomendations?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 9 06:11:28 EDT 2004

On 07/08/2004 21:10, Dave Washburn wrote:

>...  The NIV is a
>more "dynamic equivalence" translation than the other two, ...

This is true I suppose, but is a bit like saying that Washington DC is
nearer to California than New York is. NIV is one small step nearer to
true "dynamic equivalence", but is very far from all the way. If you
want a dynamic equivalence translation, look for the Good News Bible
(Today's English Version) or the New Living Translation. I don't
recommend this style of translation for Hebrew study, but I do recommend
it for general understanding, especially of more difficult parts of the
Bible by those not already familiar with them.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/