[b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Sun Aug 8 06:09:59 EDT 2004

Hallo all,

I can not remember who it was but when I posted a message asking about
extra-biblical sources for the Amalekites I was told that there were none.

I am surprised to read that the Amalekites existed at the time of Abraham
and probably before which then makes the Amalekites NOT the descendants of
Amalek from ESAU.  Also that there are references to the following:  the
babylonian 'sute';  the Egyptian 'sittiu';  and in the Amarna tablets -
'Khabbti'  (plunderers).  All these identified with Amalekites.

I must also add that the same source says that some proffessionals consider
amalekites to be mythological, but that is without question an absurd
conclusion.

Can anyone confirm this information?

Chris.

PS thankyou to everyone who responded about the English translation
question.