[b-hebrew] English translations? any recomendations?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Aug 7 16:10:12 EDT 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 11:29, wattswestmaas wrote:
> Hallo All,
>
> I should have asked this months ago, does anyone recomend a 'sound' and
> 'trustworthy' English translation of the Tanach please.  I have a number of
> them but the most accurate I have is the Dutch equivalent of the King
> James. It deffinately surpasses all of my English ones but then I do not
> know what English translation is generally seen as 'popular' amongst the
> proffessionals.
>
> Thanking you as always, Chris.

The 3 most popular in English are the New International Version (NIV), New
American Standard (NAS) and the New Revised Standard (NRSV).  The NIV is a
more "dynamic equivalence" translation than the other two, the NAS leans in
the "literal" direction and is a favorite with more conservative-oriented
scholars, while the NRSV is in the "literal" direction and tends to be
favored by the more "critical" scholarship field.  I believe the NRSV also
goes for "inclusive" language, i.e. avoiding gender-specific terms where
possible, but don't hold me to that because I haven't really kept up with
recent developments with it.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur