[b-hebrew] Ayin-Tsadi-Resh (OTSeR) Act. Part.

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Aug 7 02:47:59 EDT 2004

Chris:

As far as I can tell, this word has a meaning of restraining, as in preventing an action or holding back. Also used for a holiday when people were to be restrained from doing work.

When used in Proverbs 30:16 meaning restrained from giving birth = barren. Isaiah 53:8 He was taken away from restraint and (correct) judgement, i.e. tortured (no restraint to the violent action taken on him) and killed unjustly. Psalm 107:39 again the concept is a displeasing restraint that makes a people small.

Here we need to differentiate between a smooth translation, and the Hebrew term where “from an action” or “held back” is a necessary part of the meaning, which has no equivelant in English. Thus a smooth translation may use a completely different term.

You can’t accuse me of getting this from modern Israeli Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.