[b-hebrew] RE: Feminine of noun abstacts that stand alone

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 20:35:25 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,

Jouon-Muraoka seem to make the point that gender must be distinguished from
gender ending (§89a). I'm aware that this is at least the case with
double-gender plurals, where an -im ending emphasises the quantity whereas
an -ot ending emphasises an entity consisting of indiviual parts. I think
Diethelm Michel has looked at all of this as well as singular nouns in
Grundlegung einer hebräischen Syntax: Teil 1: Sprachwissenschaftliche
Methodik, Genus und Numerus des Nomens (Neukirchener, 1997) but I don't have
a copy nor can I locate one.

David Kummerow.