[b-hebrew] Feminine of noun abstacts that stand alone.

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Aug 6 10:32:22 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,

While the word "Emun" in Deut. 32:20, which seems to be a masculine of
"Emunah", seems unique, the feminine is used in verse 4. Isaiah 25:1 uses
both - "Emunah Omen". And the masc. plural "Emunim" is used 6 times, as well
as the construct "Emuney" in 2 Sam. 20:19.

Coming back to Deut. 32:20, my guess is that "Emun" is not really masculine,
but simply a cut-off form of Emunah, which the poet used to fit the metre.

Place names can be either masculine or feminine, but remember that both
"city" (Ir and "land" )Erec are feminine.

Yigal