[b-hebrew] A Greek Language Question

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 13:38:35 EDT 2004

I hope some people here are more knowledgeable in Greek than I am because I
want to make certain of some passages from the Greek text of Josephus.  It has
to do with his reference to a certain "Amenophis", a wiseman, universally
accepted to be a well-documented actual person from AE, Amenhotep son of Hapu.
When Josephus first mentions the wiseman he writes, "Amenophis patros de
Paapios" and then later
"Amenophis ton Paapios", both translated as "Amenophis son of Paapis.  I know
that
"patros" means "father", but I can't understand the presence of "de" in the
phrase.  Also, I think "ton" can mean "the son of" but also just plain "of".
Anybody?

Marianne Luban