[b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Thu Aug 5 09:02:53 EDT 2004

  So, could the search for the land of Judah as a polity be a red herring?
  Could it be that we have the references there already, where Jerusalem
  is mentioned?
Sorry for coming in late on this one. I believe the Tel Dan inscription does just this. The word BYTDWD, which has been usually understood as a reference to the Davidic dynasty, on closer examination turns out to be a reference to Jerusalem: "Bayt-Dawid" (Aramaic version of Hebrew "Ir-Dawid", City of David).

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College