[b-hebrew] Exodus Miracles and 'elep

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Tue Aug 3 08:15:45 EDT 2004

Walter,

Then, of course we have this analysis of Wenham regarding the 'lp issue.

 From http://www.specialtyinterests.net/hebrew_numbers.html

The size of the Israelite nation

The most interesting, most difficult and (from the historian's point of
view) the most important question is the size of the Israelite
population at the different stages of its history. The present texts
indicate that the 70 souls of Joseph's day had risen to two or three
million at the time of the Exodus (Numbers 1) and to at least five
million in the time of David (2 Samuel 24:9; 1 Chronicles 21:5). With
regard to the latter, R. de Vaux rightly says: '(2 Samuel) lists 800,000
men liable for military service in Israel, and 500,000 in Judah ... The
lower total, in 2 Samuel, is still far too high: 1,300,000 men of
military age would imply at least five million inhabitants, which, for
Palestine, would mean nearly twice as many people to the square mile as
in the most thickly populated countries of modern Europe'.4) The
solution to the problem of the Exodus numbers is a long story. Suffice
it to say that there is good reason to believe that the original
censuses in Numbers 1 and 26 set out the numbers of each tribe, somewhat
in this form:

Simeon: 57 armed men; 23 'hundreds' (military units).
This came to be written: 57 'lp; 2'lp 3 'hundreds'.

Not realising that 'lp in one case meant 'armed man' and in the other
'thousand', this was tidied up to read 59,300. When these figures are
carefully decoded, a remarkably clear picture of the whole military
organization emerges. The total fighting force [of the Exodus
Israelites] is some 18,000 which would probably mean a figure of about
72,000 for the whole migration".

With this important explanation by Wenham, we can now begin to query
whether the number of Israelite men on the march during the Exodus,
given as "about 600,000" (Exodus 12:37) - making an overall total of
some 2-3 million people - may be a gross over-estimate. I am not saying
that the inspired writer got it wrong; but only that a copyist's mistake
with numbers may have crept in. It had previously occurred to me in fact
that so many fighting men as 600,000 would unlikely have been scared of
Egypt's royal force of 600 chariots; especially considering that in
Exodus 13:18 we read: "The sons of Israel went out from Egypt fully
armed". Though perhaps this last description may apply only to Israel's
shock troops; for according to Yahuda, in both Exodus 13:18 & 14:8 (op.
cit., 96-97): "... it is emphasized ... that the Hebrews in leaving
Egypt went out proudly and triumphantly having troops armed with lances,
a well disciplined host. That in Egypt there were troops armed with
lances is shown on various Egyptian bas-reliefs ..., and such troops
would have formed the advance section at the head of the army".
(Emphasis added).5)

We read in II Chronicles about Zerah's invasion of southern Judæa:
"Zerah the Ethiopian [Cushite] and an army of one million strong with
three hundred chariots made an incursion, and penetrated to Maresha.
[King] Asa [of Judah] marched out to intercept him and drew up his
battle line in the Valley of Zephathah, at Maresha. He called on Yahweh,
his God. 'Yahweh', he said, 'no one but you can stand up for the
powerless against the powerful. Come to our help, Yahweh our God! We
rely on you, and confront this horde in your name. Yahweh, you are our
God. Let man leave everything to you!' Yahweh defeated the Ethiopians
before Asa and the Judaeans, the Ethiopians fled, and Asa pursued them
with his army as far as Gerar. So many of the Ethiopians fell that
recovery was impossible, for they had been shattered before Yahweh and
his army" (2.Chronicles 14:8-13).

Two chapters further on, we read that Zerah's Ethiopian army was also
composed of Libyans (16:8).

Thanks to Wenham, we can now estimate that this foreign army was more
likely 1,000 strong, rather than a most unlikely 1 million. The latter
figure is made even more implausible considering that the main Egyptian
army apparently did not take part, but only foreign mercenaries,
Ethiopians & Libyans, from within the empire. A few years after
Solomon's death (c.920 BC), the divided kingdom in Palestine was
absorbed into the Egyptian empire by the mighty Pharaoh Thutmose III,
and it generally remained so (though apparently the pious king Asa
managed to shake off the Egyptian overlordship) until the Assyrians took
control of that region in the C8th. That Egypt, during her supremacy,
was wont to send into Palestine highly efficient squadrons, at the
behest of beleaguered vassal kings (who, in turn, were under Egyptian
governors), is attested by the el-Amarna [EA] letters of Pharaoh
Akhnaton and his father (a few decades after Asa's time, according to
Velikovsky). These government troops were most valued as support by the
Syro-Palestinian vassal kings during their interminable conflicts.

Damien Mackey

References and Notes

1) John Wenham, `The Large Numbers of the Old Testament', Tyndale
Bulletin 18 (1967): 19-23.
2) One Hebrew manuscript, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac; most
Hebrew manuscripts use `8'.
3) A few late manuscripts of the Septuagint; Hebrew does not have
`thirty'. KJV does not mention 30 years, NIV does mention 30 years.
4) Figuring population density naturally depends on how many square
miles the writer credits Israel to have inhabited at the time. We show
in our paper on Jeroboam that the Israel of the time of Solomon may have
been quite a bit larger than most historians seem to visualize it.
5) As to the size of the Israelite nation, the figure of 600,000 is not
impossible considering that it was not so much the lances of the
Egyptians they feared but rather the arrows of their bowmen against
which they had little defense. Egyptian bowmen were always the most
feared military units of the ancient literature. The estimate of the
number of Israelites also should take into account the vast construction
projects they took part in during their years of slavery down to the
last day of servitude.