[b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Mon Aug 2 11:48:37 EDT 2004

Dimant's notes in DJD 30 on the phrase M)RC YRW#LYM in 4Q385a frg. 18 i a-b
3 are:
"This is probably an intended contrast to )RC #BY)[M] in line 7. A similar
expression, )RC TXPNS, appears in frg. 18 ii 8. The locution )RC YRW#LYM may
reflect the situation prevalent in the author's days, in which the district
of Jerusalem and the surrounding area formed a distinctive administrative
unit. )RC in the sense of 'territory around a city' occurs also in the
Bible. See )RC XMT (2 Kgs 23:33; 25:21; Jer 39:5); )RC PTRWS (Jer 44:1)."

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot