[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 08:45:31 EDT 2004

 The word for rat in modern Heb. used to be akhberosh  with an ayin; so also in Alcalay; chulda was also used, but the term really applies to weasel. An Israeli zoologist would be the authority on this.

 The precise meaning of the biblical akhbar , whether mouse or rat, is anybody's guess. BDB understands it as the former.

  Uri

Joel Nothman <jnothman at student.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 3:57:41 +0000, wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Before rambling on about rats and fleas, does BH, or even
> Modern Hebrew have different words for rat and mouse?

I find "chulda" = het.vav.lamed.dalet.heh as opposed to "achbar" =
ayin.kaf.bet.resh from MH.
The dictionary from onlinebible.com (through Davar) tranlsates chulda as
weasel.

- Joel