[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Apr 29 08:42:41 EDT 2004

On 29/04/2004 02:47, Joel Nothman wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 3:57:41 +0000, <david.kimbrough at CHARTER.NET> wrote:
>
>> Karl,
>>
>> Before rambling on about rats and fleas, does BH, or even
>> Modern Hebrew have different words for rat and mouse?
>

> I find "chulda" = het.vav.lamed.dalet.heh as opposed to "achbar" =
> ayin.kaf.bet.resh from MH.
> The dictionary from onlinebible.com (through Davar) tranlsates chulda
> as  weasel.
>
> - Joel

This is interesting to me because this word appears in the Bible only as
the name of a prophetess (2 Ki 22:14 etc). The interesting thing is that
she was a contemporary of Acbor and Shaphan, in fact those names are
found in the very same verse. It seems that at that time people were
commonly named after small mammals!

BH does have XOLED, in Leviticus 11:29 only and followed by `AKBAR. NIV
renders "the weasel, the rat", but the meaning could easily be "the rat,
the mouse".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/