[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Apr 26 05:55:18 EDT 2004

Hi Brian,

The root $MM, and the related $MH, has  a basic meaning of "empty". An empty
city or country is one that has been either ravaged by war or by plague.
Rats do bring plague. But I would keep my translation as general as possible
(in English I'd prefer "desolate" over "devastated"), and let the context
speak for itself.

Good luck!

Yigal