[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation

Brian & Laureen Powell PowellBrian at omf.net
Mon Apr 26 02:18:00 EDT 2004

Hi,
I'm currently translating 1 Samuel into one of the minority languages of
the Philippines and have reached the above verse.

I am wondering if the word translated in the NIV as 'devastation',
shamem in the Hebrew, refers to a destruction of crops (which would be
quite likely if there were a plague of rats which is mentioned in
chapter 6) or whether this is some other form of destruction, such as
death by plague.

I should be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the meaning of
this word. Thanks
Brian Powell

--

Brian & Laureen Powell