[b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)

Noam Eitan noameitan at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 09:45:54 EDT 2004

Another example is how references in the text to the “Queen of Heaven” (mele'kheth ha-shamayim, or maybe even malkat ha-shamayim) were corrupted by the punctuation to “the host of heaven” (melekheth ha-shamayim). (Jeremiah 7:18; 44:17-19,25)

(Regarding meanings of the sons’ names in the Book of Ruth, in my very humble opinion, or my feeling of that text, the reading of Mahlon and Kilion as Sickness and Death is pretty straightforward, not contrived like other rabbinical name-midrashim, which, as Yigal points out, were meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Orpah is a borderline case.)

Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY