[b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Apr 23 04:01:00 EDT 2004

Dora:

The answer to your question is included in your question: the reason you did not hear the th sound in Hebrew is because German, hence Yiddisch, hence the Ashkenazic pronunciation, does not have the th sound. Modern Israeli Hebrew, having been developed by Yiddisch speaking Jews, with only a couple of exceptions is limited to the phonemes available in Yiddisch even though they selected Sephardi pronunciation as the one to use.

Karl W. Randolph.