[b-hebrew] Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22

Dora Smith villandra at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 20 22:13:54 EDT 2004

What I would want to know is if "Eloi' and "Elohim" have any different
meaings besides being possible different words for "God".    This would get
to the heart of whether possibly the Gospel writers deliberately misquoted
the verse in the interest of making some point.

As to the capacity of different dialects to say a word differently, anyone
want ot hear all of the northern Syrian terms for the god the authors of the
OT called "Yahweh"?   And wait until Assyrians tried to write the name of
the king "Yehudi"!

Since different people really could have done anything to any word, I would
concentrate on possible meanings of Elohim and Eloi, not to mention Eli,
that aren't the same as in the psalm.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas