[b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)

Noam Eitan noameitan at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 13:46:28 EDT 2004

Dear  Yigal,
Thanks for your detailed response. I wonder what you think of the Philistine god's name "Dagon" - can it be understood as "little fish", and if so, in sarcasm? - or am I projecting from modern Hebrew? "Little fish" seems like a particularly sarcastic sting at what must have been a statue of some proportion.

Also - any idea where I can find The Rise of Yahwism: the Roots of Israelite Monotheism. Second and Revised Edition
by Johannes C. De Moor, E. Peters

Seems unavailable anywhere.

Thanks

Noam Eitan from Brooklyn