[b-hebrew] Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 20 10:03:20 EDT 2004

Note that the question of the language of Jesus' cry of dereliction is obscured by the many orthographic textual variants among the manuscripts. Zahn's Introduction to the NT 15-16 has an informative discussion on these variants (but thinks Hebrew was not spoken at that time). Particularly interesting are Codex Bezae and the Syriac versions!

The Textual Commentary on the GNT (UBS) has a concise summary (but overconfident about Hebrew and Aramaic pronunciation at that time) s.v. Mark 15:34, concluding, "in the text preferred by the Committee the entire saying represents and Aramaic original, whereas the Matthean parallel is partly Hebrew and partly Aramaic."

Epiphanius (in Panarion, 4th century) says about Mt 27:46 that Jesus spoke the words HLI HLI in Hebrew but said what follows in Syriac: τὰ εἰς αὐτὸν πεπροφητευμένα λέγων «ἠλί, ἠλί» ῾Εβραϊκῇ τῇ λέξει, ὡς ἦν προγεγραμμένον, καὶ οὐκέτι ῾Εβραϊκῇ, ἀλλὰ Συριακῇ διαλέκτῳ τὸ συζυγοῦν ῥῆμα ἀποτελῶν ἔλεγε «λημᾶ σαβαχθανί»

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm at mcmaster.ca