[b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation

Joel Nothman jnothman at student.usyd.edu.au
Sat Apr 17 06:42:24 EDT 2004

> Dora Smith wrote:
>> Did y'all know that (according to exactly half of my resources) undotted
>> dalet is pronounced "th" like the Welsh dd?  I didn't know this sound
>> existed in Hebrew!

This is actually quite common knowledge among users of Hebrew, and is also
often noted in academic Hebrew.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:47:45 -0400, Trevor Peterson <06peterson at cua.edu>
wrote:

> It doesn't in Modern Israeli Hebrew, which follows the Sephardic
> tradition.

This is a bit of a generalisation. "Sephardic" is a very bad umbrella term
for the Jewish communities hailing from North Africa, the Middle East,
etc...

But in a number of these places, particularly where Arabic is spoken, a
number of the characteristics mentioned by Dora are present. A number of
communities pronounce th for thav (last letter of aleph-beth without
dagesh); fewer pronounce dh (as in "the") for daleth withut dagesh,
although I have heard it noted that some Iraqi communities do this
regularly only on some common words, such as Adhonai, but not in general.
Many sephardic/oriental communities do pronounce waw rather than vav- this
letter is also in Arabic. Yemenite Hebrew also retains a ghimmel and in
fact a jimmel for the gimmel without and with dagesh, respecitvely.
The tav-thaw variation is also related to the fact that Ashkenazi
(European) Hebrew pronounces this letter as sav.
Providing such plosive/fricative distinctions completes the set of letters
that take dagesh in the same way orthographically, known as the "beged
kefet" (beth, gimmel, daleth, kaph, peh, taw).
Also of note here is that a number of these communities also pronounce vet
(bet without dagesh) as b. It was once likely a bilabial fricative, which
is not so easy to pronounce and so seems to fall out of languages - it
sounds somewhere between v and b. This sound also accounts (in Latin
Spanish) for the spellings of Habana/Havana. It may also account for
"Jacob" and "Job" and not "Jakov" and "Jov".

Additional dialectal phonetic variations in modern pronunciation exist,
again mostly present between some oriental communities and the rest of the
population who have seemingly normalised their sounds to reflect
surrounding changes, or a Europeanisation.

These include gutturals:

- Aleph is varies in its distinction as a glottal stop between various
accents (also depends on where it appears in the word, eg few pronounce it
as a glottal stop at the end of a word; many do at the start of a
syllable, though less often if this is the start of a word or after an
open syllable).

- 'Ayin as a guttural is often pronounced among oriental/Sephardic
communities. Sometimes it is pronounced a bit further forward than the
Arabic 'ayin.

- Het (or "Chet") is pronounced as an unvoiced 'ayin in similar amounts of
communities to 'ayin

- He is also somewhat varied, particularly in modern pronunciations

It is interesting to note that khaf-het and sometimes aleph-'ayin
distinctions are made in older members of the Jerusalem community of
Ashkenazi background, though it seems there are a few dialectal
differences in Modern Hebrew between Jerusalemites and the rest of Israel.

Also pronounced differently by some Sephardi communities are:

- Ssade (tsade) is prounounced as an emphatic s-sound (like Sad in Arabic)

- Quf is pronounced further back (uvular) than kaf, like the q in Iraq
should be. Still, this distinction has been lost in a number of Arabic
dialects, and so is not present in corresponding Jewish dialects.

I have not heard any distinctive tet, although this should be an emphatic
- like sade - and is also present in Arabic.

Hmm. That was long. I hope also of interest!

- Joel