[b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicode encoding ofholam male

Dora Smith villandra at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 20:35:47 EDT 2004

Those dots start flying all over the place, I only get confused.

I never met accent marks in Biblical Hebrew, either.

Did y'all know that (according to exactly half of my resources) undotted
dalet is pronounced "th" like the Welsh dd?  I didn't know this sound
existed in Hebrew!

And how many of y'all knew that vav is pronounced "w"?   Again according to
exactly half my sources - sometimes.  Though that atleast makes enough sense
that I already suspected that it may ahve once been true.  It makes sense
out of "Yahweh" for YHWH when everyone else pronounced it "Yah", "Yaw" or
"Yahu".   V - W shifts are pretty common ze vorld over.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra at austin.rr.com