[b-hebrew] Hebrew support installed - which Hebrew do I enable?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Apr 16 04:09:46 EDT 2004

On 15/04/2004 22:27, Dora Smith wrote:

>OK, I installed Peter Kirk's language support pack.  In addition to that
>uniscribe file.
>
>I'm scared to try control panel international settings again, so I opened
>Internet Explorer.
>
>Yesterday when I right clicked in IE and clicked on encoding I did not find
>Hebrew.
>
>Today I find four versions.  Do I enable Hebrew ISO, Hebrew visual, Hebrew
>logical, or Hebrew Windows?   If I want to be able to post to the list in
>unicode that everyone can read?   Or can I enable more than one?
>
>I already have Unicode selected - do I leave that selected as well?
>
>Yours,
>Dora Smith
>Austin, Texas
>villandra at austin.rr.com

I'm glad you are getting there.

If these settings are for reading web pages, you may want to enable all
of them. But I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

As for sending e-mail, I would suggest that you use only Unicode. Hebrew
Windows should also work. The "visual" version is likely to cause
problems - text may well come out backwards for some people. But on
Windows 95 you probably don't have any keyboard support for writing
Hebrew. Keyman, from www.tavultesoft.com, provides some of what you
need, but only with certain applications which probably excludes Outlook
Express 5.5. You could, however, compose mail in Word 2000 or a recent
version of Wordpad and paste it into Outlook.

Peter

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/