[b-hebrew] $wbb from two roots?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Apr 16 01:17:57 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.a

Jeremiah 3:14 is in my list, referring to apostate, i.e. having left their God, and God commends them to return. I don’t see the concept of rebellion per se.

Hebrew  already  has two words connected with rebellion, PW( and MRD, and a third word with the concept of defiance often used in the context of rebellion, MR) or MRH.

As for Isaiah 44:26, I noticed the possible meaning of returning, but in the context that the cities of Judeah will be built, the meaning of Jerusalem being settled makes better contextual sense than being returned.

As a matter of practice, I try to read each lexeme the same way each time it is used, unless there is good reason not to. Except for a few lexemes used more than about 50 times, I check each occurrence to see if one meaning holds.

Every time that I have recognized that $BB or one of its binyamim is used, it appears to have a meaning connected with removing one from one’s proper place, either physically or spiritually (apostate). However, $WBB could stem from two different roots, one $BB and the other $WB and the contexts seem to indicate that sometimes one, sometimes the other is meant. That’s why I asked my question to see if others had noticed the same pattern.

Karl W. Randolph.