[b-hebrew] $wbb from two roots?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Apr 15 03:13:20 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com>

> $BB I read as having the meaning as removing from one’s proper place, and
in matters of faith that removing is an act of apostasy. So in Ezekiel 38:4
it is a physical movement while in Jeremiah 3:22 it is a spiritual removing,
hence apostasy.

> $WBB also seems to have the root $WB with the idea of returning,
restoration, such as in Psalm 23:3 and Isaiah 49:5.

 Nice. But $WBB also has the implied meaning of "rebelious". Look at the
word-play in Jer. 3:14, "$uvu banim $ovavim" - "turn back, rebelious
children".

And might not Isaiah 44:26, "He who says to Jerusalem - TW$B" have the
double meaning of "will be inhabited" (as dictated by the context) and "will
be returned"?

Yigal