[b-hebrew] $wbb from two roots?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Apr 14 05:27:41 EDT 2004

On 13/04/2004 17:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

>To All:
>
>It appears that the lexeme $wbb comes from two roots: from $bb which seems to carry the comcept of moving from one’s proper place, or when dealing with belief the idea of becoming apostate, and as a pilel for $wb with the concept of being returned, restored. Using an unpointed search, it appears about 15 times in Tanakh. It appears that the context is what tells us which root to attach any particular usage of the lexeme. Am I reading this aright, or am I overlooking anything?
>
>Karl W. Randolph.

I would think that the sense "apostate" also comes from the pilel or
polel of $WB, with the meaning of turning back into unbelief or idolatry.

The root $BB does seem to occur, in Hosea 8:6 and Job 18:5, but the
meaning is different.

Another root which is sometimes confused with $WB is $BH "take captive".
This confusion, or deliberate word play, is found in the rather common
phrase $WB $BYT/$BWT "bring back from captivity" or "restore the fortunes".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/