[b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicode encoding of holam male

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Apr 13 05:57:48 EDT 2004

On 12/04/2004 20:12, Dora Smith wrote:

>Peter, what are you talking about?   Are you saying that unicode fonts only
>spell the long o sound with a vav, instead of the dot over the consonant?
>
>Yours,
>Dora Smith
>Austin, Texas
>villandra at austin.rr.com

Not quite. What I am saying is that Unicode does not make a distinction
between holam male = full holam (with silent vav) and vav haluma =
consonantal vav with holam (sounded VO or WO). Both are written as vav
with holam dot above it, but (at least as I was taught) in the former
the dot is above the right side of vav, and in the latter the dot is
above the left side. From my examples you will see that many printed
Bibles make this distinction. Unicode only defines one way of putting a
holam dot on a vav.

By the way, there is a new draft of the proposal at
http://qaya.org/academic/hebrew/Holam%20Male.html, with a few extra
options and a table comparing the options.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/