[b-hebrew] Draft proposal for Unicode encoding of holam male

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Apr 8 19:05:17 EDT 2004

I have drafted a proposal for encoding holam male (full holam) in
Unicode. This is for cases when it needs to be distinguished from
consonantal vav with holam, especially with the biblical text. The draft
is at
http://qaya.org/academic/hebrew/Holam%20Male.html. (This will be
converted to PDF for the final proposal.)

Your comments are welcome. They should be directed either to me
personally (peterkirk at qaya.org) or to the Unicode Hebrew list,
hebrew at unicode.org; I don't want parallel discussions on several lists.
My conclusion remains tentative, so you are welcome to try to change my
mind. If anyone would like to join me as a joint proposer, please let me
know.

I hope to submit this proposal to the Unicode Technical Committee in
time for their June 2004 meeting, for it to be considered alongside some
other proposals to improve Unicode Hebrew, including
http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2692.pdf and
http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2714.pdf. I intend also to draft
proposals for distinguishing medial and right meteg from the regular
left meteg, and for clarifying the encoding of the accents zarqa/tsinor
and tsinorit.

(Apologies to anyone who receives multiple copies of this. I am sending
blind copies to some individuals and private lists.)

Here is my summary of my current draft proposal:

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/