[b-hebrew] Tradition of Zechariah's Murder

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Apr 5 14:15:12 EDT 2004

On 05/04/2004 10:32, CS Bartholomew wrote:

>On 4/5/04 3:23 AM, "George Athas" <gathas at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a tradition which claims that Zechariah ben-Berechiah (the
>>prophet) was murdered on the temple grounds? If so, references would be
>>appreciated.
>>

>George,
>
>Nothing on Zechariah ben-Berechiah but
>concerning the disputed issue "who was murdered" according to
>Mt23:35/Lk11:51 you might take a look at Josephus Bel* 4:334-344 (iv. 6,4)
>and Targum Lam. ii.20.

Edersheim (The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, vol.II p.414 in my
1886 edition) refers to the murder of "Zacharias, the son of Baruch" as
reported by Josephus, War iv. 5.4, Maybe this is the correct Josephus
reference. But it seems to be to a death in the final siege of Jerusalem.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/