[b-hebrew] "adam" in Turkish

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Apr 5 09:48:24 EDT 2004

On 05/04/2004 06:03, Steve Westfall wrote:

>Does the K&B EVER cite evidence from Turkish?  (I haven't had a chance to
>look, but I doubt it was part of their procedure.)
>
>Steve Westfall

I doubt if it would ever be relevant. According to most scholars (though
not Turkish ones), the Turkic peoples were living thousands of miles
away from the Israelites during the BH period, and so it is very
improbable that there are Turkic loan words in the HB. There just might
be words of Arabic, Aramaic, Hittite etc origin relevant to Hebrew which
are preserved only in Turkish. Well, I guess this is quite likely with
some place names; for example, the name of a northern possible Ur of the
Chaldees may be preserved in the Turkish city name Urfa. (I posted
evidence for this one on this list some years ago,
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2000-June/007517.html, see
also http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2000-June/007495.html.)

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)