[b-hebrew] Tradition of Zechariah's Murder

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Apr 5 08:37:13 EDT 2004

On 05/04/2004 03:23, George Athas wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>
>Does anyone know of a tradition which claims that Zechariah ben-Berechiah (the prophet) was murdered on the temple grounds? If so, references would be appreciated.

I guess you already have in mind Matthew 23:35 and Luke 11:51, and 2
Chronicles 24:20,21. I have heard it stated that the NT references refer
to this Zechariah, who was stoned in the temple, as if he was the last
of the martyrs because his martyrdom is recorded in the last book of the
Hebrew Bible, and so apparently later than the chronologically later
book of the prophet Zechariah. But the father's name in the New
Testament, Berechiah, matches that of the prophet, whose death is not
recorded in the Hebrew Bible.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/