[b-hebrew] "adam" in Turkish

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Apr 5 08:27:23 EDT 2004

On 04/04/2004 09:37, CS Bartholomew wrote:

>I was reviewing **B. Blake's definition of case and came across a Turkish
>example with the word "adam" which means man. Well, this looks kind of
>familiar does it not?
>
>Is "adam" in Turkish a loan word and if so from what language?
>
>greetings,
>Clay Bartholomew

"adam" is also used in Azerbaijani and Persian, but the etymological
dictionaries of both languages list it as a loan from Arabic. In Turkish
and Azerbaijani it is also contrasted with the name Adam (which is
identical in Arabic and Persian as well as in Hebrew), "Adem" in Turkish
and "Adəm" in Azerbaijani. This latter form is the more regular loan
form from Arabic, e/ə representing Arabic short a, but in the Turkic
languages the common noun has been adjusted to fit Turkic vowel harmony
rules.

The word is found in a wide range of Semitic languages, and so is
proto-Semitic (perhaps going back to Adam himself?) rather than a loan
from Hebrew into Arabic.

One interesting difference: "adam" in Turkish means "male human", but in
Azerbaijani and Persian it is gender generic, as apparently in Hebrew
and other Semitic languages.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/