[b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Sep 30 15:15:46 EDT 2003

On 30/09/2003 11:53, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>The problem I have with the traditional translation is that I don’t understand it.
>
>Oh I understand the lexemes and the sentence structure, but the idea doesn’t make sense. Furthermore, the parallelism gives the actor, then his way in an inanimate milieu for the first three, whereas what is his way in a virgin? ...

I would have thought any man would know that (even though I admitted I
don't!). But certain things are just not spelled out explicitly in a
polite text. Probably in each of the sets of ascending clauses in
Proverbs 30, the focus is on the last one and the preceding three are
compared with it. There is nothing strange about comparing a woman with
the sky, the sea, and a rock - especially as no doubt the snake finds
its way into a hole in the rock.

>... But “into the unknown” fits the parallelism, makes linguistic, logical and psychological sense, and I understand it.     ;-)

Unfortunately that's does not imply that it is correct. You need much
better evidence than that.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/