[b-hebrew] Proverbs 26:21 alternate spellings?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Sep 30 14:28:45 EDT 2003

Peter:

In French, there is a pattern of meaning so that a Frenchman knows when to use soir or soirée, matin or matinée and so forth, is there any such pattern in Biblical Hebrew?

For some of it, it is the difference between the male and female of an object, such that PRD and PRDH refer to a male and female donkey, the same pattern with N(R and N(RH.

For example, what’s the difference between )BR and )BRH, both meaning “wing feather”? What about )MR and )MRH referring to sayings? XQ and XQH both mean “statute for setting limits”? NTYB and NTYBH meaning “way, direction one should go, byway”? There are many other such words. Has anyone made a study to indicate when one should use a word with a final hey and without? Are we dealing with the masculine referring to the specific and the feminine to the general? Is there any pattern? Or is this merely acceptable alternate spellings? Are some merely a feminine noun written without the hey in the singular? There are examples much more complex than the ones given above.

Is this a publishable study?    ;-)

Karl W. Randolph.