[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text - inscriptions

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Mon Sep 29 17:17:43 EDT 2003

Dear Uri,

Whereas the default value of the first sign of Jehoiachin is IA, it
can also be IE, IU and JI (See Labat 142).  Therefore we cannot rule
out that the scribe took the sign as IE.  We can also note that
Gedalyahu is written as GA - DA - AL - IA - A - MA and Gemaryahu as
GA - MAR  - IA - A - MA. The sign GA (Labat 319) does not have the
variant GE, so we cannot rule out that the timbre of each vowel was
somewhat different in Assyria/Babylon than it was in Israel/Juda.  On
the other side, we should remember that the shewah in the first
syllable of Jehoiachin is supplied by the Masoretes, and that the
default pronunciation of shewa in Masoretic times was an "a"-sound. I
therefore find the discussion of the original pronunciation of YHWH,
on the basis of the Greek or Akkadian languages or on the basis of
the MT, futile. We simply cannot know anything about it!  But the
view that YHWH had three rather than two syllables is much stronger
in the light of the theophoric names in the MT.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo