[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Sep 29 06:23:34 EDT 2003

On 28/09/2003 17:22, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>Jason wrote:
>

>>What if, rather than taking the VAV as a vowel, we take it
>>consonantally and make the -u- vowel proceed from a kibbutz?
>>
>>YaHuWeH
>>

>That still leaves open the question of whether the Greek transliteration
>fits. I'm not convinced that we can account for /uw/ with Greek OU.
>

>>Then, the VAV doesn't lose its consonantal nature (as all
>>seem to see it
>>need) if this is the case. I have read before a  suggestion
>>that I had thought was in the Artscroll Siddur--consequently,
>>I cannot now find the statement! What is said, however, is
>>that YaHaWeH was a possible pronunciation. In this the first
>>vowel is a full patach, the second is a chatef-patach and the
>>third is a segol. Thus:
>>
>>YAHA:WEH
>>
>>What do you think?
>>

>I would be surprised if you saw that in Artscroll, but I suppose it's
>possible. I don't see why the usual scholarly reconstruction couldn't be
>adjusted for a half-vowel under the he.

If I remember rightly, there are quite a number of words where Hebrew
texts vary between sheva and a hataf vowel under a word medial
"guttural" consonant including he. So YAH:WEH and YAH:AWEH could be
considered variant pointings and perhaps pronunciations of the same
word. On the other hand, )AH:AROWN becomes AARWN in Greek (and hence the
Englis Aaron), but we don't get a double alpha in Greek versions of the
divine name, which suggests a sheva rather than a hataf patah in the
Hebrew pronunciation.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/