[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Trevor Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Sun Sep 28 20:22:56 EDT 2003

Jason wrote:

> What if, rather than taking the VAV as a vowel, we take it
> consonantally and make the -u- vowel proceed from a kibbutz?
>
> YaHuWeH

That still leaves open the question of whether the Greek transliteration
fits. I'm not convinced that we can account for /uw/ with Greek OU.

> Then, the VAV doesn't lose its consonantal nature (as all
> seem to see it
> need) if this is the case. I have read before a  suggestion
> that I had thought was in the Artscroll Siddur--consequently,
> I cannot now find the statement! What is said, however, is
> that YaHaWeH was a possible pronunciation. In this the first
> vowel is a full patach, the second is a chatef-patach and the
> third is a segol. Thus:
>
> YAHA:WEH
>
> What do you think?

I would be surprised if you saw that in Artscroll, but I suppose it's
possible. I don't see why the usual scholarly reconstruction couldn't be
adjusted for a half-vowel under the he.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics