[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Jason Hare jason at hareplay.com
Sun Sep 28 18:10:49 EDT 2003

Liz, et al.

What if, rather than taking the VAV as a vowel, we take it consonantally and
make the -u- vowel proceed from a kibbutz?

YaHuWeH

Then, the VAV doesn't lose its consonantal nature (as all seem to see it
need) if this is the case. I have read before a  suggestion that I had
thought was in the Artscroll Siddur--consequently, I cannot now find the
statement! What is said, however, is that YaHaWeH was a possible
pronunciation. In this the first vowel is a full patach, the second is a
chatef-patach and the third is a segol. Thus:

YAHA:WEH

What do you think?

Regards,
Jason