[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Sep 28 14:59:37 EDT 2003

On 28/09/2003 11:41, Liz Fried wrote:

>>Add H, yes, but why U or O? After all, the Hebrew basis of Greek ABRAAM
>>and AARWN is not Avrahoam or Ahuaron. Maybe Greek IAOUE might be more
>>like Yahue, but in Greek it would not be well-defined whether this was
>>two syllables yah-we or three syllables ya-hu-e. To go back to Hebrew,
>>if the vav is used as evidence for a central U or O vowel it cannot be
>>reused as a consonant, but I supposed the pronunciation could be
>>something like ya-hu-he, or even ya-huah with a furtive patah before he
>>with mappiq. So maybe your conclusion is not so off-based, but not
>>because HU or HO is dropped.
>>

>Brilliant!
>A furtive patah! of course!
>ya-hu-ah
>Right, I ran into problems, cuz I cannot have the W be both a vowel and a
>consonant, and I cannot have two vowels together.
>But YaHUaH would solve it all, no?
>Liz

Well, in favour we have the final he with mappiq in the short form Yah.

But against, we have the etymology. Yahuah with a mappiq would have to
come from an otherwise unattested root he - vav - he, with the last he a
real one marked by mappiq and not a yod which has been dropped and then
replaced by a he mater. So no relationship with HYH/HWH (really HYY/HWY)
= "to be", and Exodus 3:14 becomes at best a misleading folk etymology.
While I don't usually set much store by etymology, other things being
equal it is better to link a word to a well known Semitic root than to
an otherwise unknown one.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/