[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Sep 28 14:52:09 EDT 2003

On 28/09/2003 10:46, Liz Fried wrote:

>OK, The point is only to stick an aspirated h in the middle
>of the Greek word. Doesn't Greek represent the w with an upsilon?
>How do you pronounce uios (son) -- weos?
>Liz

Yes, more or less, but only before iota. Greek upsilon alone is
pronounce like French u or German u umlaut. And upsilon - iota is
probably pronounced with this sound rather than a straight u sound,
which is always omicron - upsilon cf. French ou. The closest we get in
English to Greek upsilon alone is probably in the word "hue", at least
as some pronounce it with a rather whistling sound. Not a Hebrew sound
at all.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/