[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Sep 28 14:44:41 EDT 2003

On 28/09/2003 10:07, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>Liz wrote:
>

>>The Greek
>>transliteration OU is customarily read as the consonant W in
>>the word Yahweh, but it could equally be read as the long ooo
>>sound.
>>

>But if it is /u/, then what is the next consonant? In Hebrew, you can't
>have two vowels in a row. Maybe we could suggest that it is both /u/ and
>/w/, but I can't think of an example where we get that combination. (I
>seem to remember getting a yod-dagesh representing a mater followed by a
>consonantal yod, but not with vav.) If that's not possible, then it
>seems to me that we don't have a valid form (unless the h starts the
>next syllable, but who's suggesting that?).

Well, I can think of two possibly relevant examples. One is the rather
odd form QWH (1Ki 10:28) or QW) (2Ch 1:16) which is represented in
English translations as Kue, although pointed with sheva and tsere. The
other is in fact an exception to the two vowels in a row rule, which I
already mentioned, that we could have a furtive patah before he with mappiq.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/