[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Sep 28 14:29:59 EDT 2003

On 27/09/2003 22:24, Liz Fried wrote:

> [...]
Add H, yes, but why U or O? After all, the Hebrew basis of Greek ABRAAM
and AARWN is not Avrahoam or Ahuaron. Maybe Greek IAOUE might be more
like Yahue, but in Greek it would not be well-defined whether this was
two syllables yah-we or three syllables ya-hu-e. To go back to Hebrew,
if the vav is used as evidence for a central U or O vowel it cannot be
reused as a consonant, but I supposed the pronunciation could be
something like ya-hu-he, or even ya-huah with a furtive patah before he
with mappiq. So maybe your conclusion is not so off-based, but not
because HU or HO is dropped.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/