[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Sep 28 14:21:18 EDT 2003

On 27/09/2003 16:21, Dave Washburn wrote:

>On Saturday 27 September 2003 15:22, Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>On 27/09/2003 13:42, Dave Washburn wrote:
>>

>>>...  I have a friend
>>>named John; if he moved to Mexico he would probably be called Juan, while
>>>if he moved to Russia he'd be called Ivan. ...
>>>

>>Not true, actually. I know of several Americans and Brits called John
>>who have lived in Russia and other Russian speaking countries. They are
>>never called Ivan. No one ever tried to call me Pyotr. It is not a
>>Russian custom to Russianise names of foreign men, though oddly they do
>>tend to do it with women's names which are similar to common Russian
>>ones e.g. Cathy becomes Katya.
>>

>Okay, I overstated.  What I meant was, diachronically they're all the same
>name (John, Juan, Ivan, and I'll even throw in French Jean and German
>Johann). ...

And how about Anglicised Hebrew Jehohanan (e.g. Neh 12:13) while you are
at it? For actually this illustrates what can happen to the divine name,
as part of a longer name, in various languages.

>...  My Russian example actually came from a snippet of a Tom Clancy
>novel, ...

I can't often fault Tom Clancy, but I had noted before that the way his
Russian character gives Russian names and patronymics to Americans, even
while speaking English, is either a sign of a very special close
affection or else plain wrong.

>... but the point remains the same: how a name is pronounced is largely a
>matter of culture and native language, and how one pronounces YHWH - or
>whether one does - really doesn't matter.  Like Liz, I tend to go with Yahweh
>myself for the sake of convenience.

Agreed.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)