[b-hebrew] END OF THREAD: Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sun Sep 28 06:28:27 EDT 2003

Dear Liz,

The things that bother you are real, because Yahweh is an artificial
construction which has absolutely no basis in old Hebrew sources.  It
is reported by some Church fathers that the Samaritans used a
pronunciation close to Yahweh, but there are no Hebrew sources
pointing in this direction.

An important argument against Yahweh is that it has just two
syllables, whereas the evidence from theophoric Hebrew names in the
Tanakh points in the direction of three syllables. There are so many
names beginning with YEHU (YAHU?) suggesting that this was the
pronunciation of the first two syllables. The forms YHW  (YAHU or
YAHO ) from Elephantine may very well represent the first two
syllables of an apocopated form.

We realize that the Masoretic pointing (E-A, E-O-A, E-I) do not tell
us anything about the original pronunciation of YHWH.  However, few
realize that the opposite is true as well.  There is no reason to
believe that the Masoretes knew how YHWH originally was pronounced,
so their borrowing the  vowels of )LHYM  and )DNY in no way rules out
that these vowels were used in the original pronunciation.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli